Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nieves/ Raffi Kalenderian

sc01d1eece
sc01d20356
sc01d1da41

Another NYC trip purchase, another funny coincidence-

I was in Printed Matter feeling a bit overwhelmed by their large inventory, when all of a sudden for some reason I thought "I know- I'll look at the Nieves books."

Anyone who has been on the interwebs for a while is probably familiar with Nieves Press out of Zurich. I located their section in the store and the first book I picked up was Memoranda- Raffi Kalenderian. I had to laugh (I'm sure the clerks thought I was a bit off my rocker because of all the laughing and smiling to myself that was going on). Just a few months prior I had met Raffi at the LCD show at the Hollywood Bowl through a mutual friend. I knew Raffi was an artist (he is also is a musician and in the band Wounded Lion) but I had no idea that this is what is work was like! I had to purchase this - again not only for the coincidence, but also for all of the marvelous patterns, colors, and textures in his work. I mean, look at that rug depicted in the second image!

Another coincidence: If you are curious, Wounded Lion actually have a show tomorrow night at Pehrspace here in Los Angeles.



5 comments:

Janis said...

I am loving these pieces! I am also drawn to the play of pattern and color. Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Drooling...

Anonymous said...

i love nieves! you're getting me more and more excited about printed matter.

these are gorgeous!

Jennifer said...

Hope you are having fun in NYC Joanna!
The Nieves display is at the very back of the store, to the left- I remember it not on top of the counter but 1 shelf below :)

Michelle said...

AHhh! just taking a break from painting and I go to your blog...and BLAMM! I buy this book. LOVE. Thank you for introducing me to so many fab artists! LOVE...did I mention that I LOVE???