Monday, August 16, 2010

Hiroshige at the Norton Simon

hiroshige1
hiroshige2
hiroshige3

This past Friday afternoon, Tomory & I went to go see the Hiroshige exhibit at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena.
Many of the prints in the show belonged to the famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
Every time I see the work of Hiroshige, I cannot believe I am looking at a woodcut. Some of the lines are so fluid, they look more like ink-paintings. There is so much inspiration to be gleaned from Hiroshige's work in terms of pattern and color. A must-see, I pledge to go back and view it again before the show comes down in January.

We also finally saw this exhibit, which I also recommend...you only have about a week left to view it before it closes!

Hiroshige: Visions of Japan
June 04, 2010 - January 17, 2011

"Drawn from the Norton Simon Museum's extensive Japanese woodblock-print collection, Hiroshige: Visions of Japan features approximately 175 prints by Utagawa Hiroshige (1797-1858), one of the most celebrated and prolific artists of his time."

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Thanks for sharing this! My boyfriend and I are always on the lookout for printmaking exhibits (he's a Studio Art major with an emphasis in printmaking)...looks like we'll be heading down to the Norton Simon this week!

Janis said...

Sounds like a wonderful show. If I lived in SO CAL that's where you'd find me today :^)

Happy Monday - xo