Saturday, January 23, 2010

Patti Smith: Just Kids

I'm having a Patti Smith moment, I guess. I heard her talking about her book that was recently published, "Just Kids", and I went out and bought it immediately. I've devoured it, it's a great read. It's a memoir, which details her meeting Robert Mapplethorpe in the late 60's in NYC when they were both young, literally starving artists. Their relationship was truly a special one, and reading about their development into the individuals we now know them as is fascinating.
Smith is going to be making a couple of appearances here in L.A. next week- both at the Hammer Museum & at Skylight Books.
I think I need to go.

1 comment:

Janis said...

Heard her on FRESH AIR and TALK OF THE NATION would love to read her book as well. Such a gentle, yet strong spirit... a fascinating era too.