Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Corner View: Your (My) Style


With the blouse buttoned.


With the blouse unbuttoned.

Liberty trimmed placket.


Nani Iro wooden button.



The placket is sewn shut 1/2 way down the shirt.


The back of the blouse. Jeans by Madewell. Rachel Comey shoes.


For this post I thought I'd show you my first creation of 2010: The Summer Blouse from Heather Ross' book Weekend Sewing.

The Summer Blouse was pretty easy. It was my first experience with making darts, and placing sleeves on a garment. Tackling both was much simpler than I expected. Surprise, surprise: darts really do make a difference with a garment's shape (duh)!

Now that I know how to put in sleeves, I have no idea why I avoided doing so in the first place (previously I just cut the sleeves already attached to the dress body / shirt pieces that I made for my ERMIE line).

Here's hoping that zippers and buttonholes will be easier than I expected.

I made this blouse in a Nani Iro Linen/ Cotton Gauze from her 2009 line, and trimmed it with Liberty Tana Lawn. The bias tape is a pre-made Japanese linen tape, and the quirky little button is also Nani Iro.

If I make this blouse again, I'll make it a little bit longer, more like a tunic or dress (I have a long waist, so most shirts annoyingly tend to be a little cropped on me if not cut on the longer side). Well, onto the next project!

Take a look at these fashionistas from around the globe!

16 comments:

claire said...

Happy to see the first creation of your new collection! You know I love nani Iro's fabrics and the button is beautiful too! I love this blouse and your work seems so perfect... Bravo jennifer!

popcorn plays said...

gorgeous - i love the side darts! and that button is just the kind of detail i'm addicted to....

Daan said...

Love it!

and your hair, too!

Joyce said...

love your style and more so that you created it. very nice xo

Janis said...

Adorable model, wonderful blouse!

Unknown said...

Love the blouse, I'm new to corner view so I'm glad to meet you!

Amber said...

Nice!!!

Cheryl Cambras said...

great job, j!

likeschocolate said...

I like your new haircut! Have a happy week!

Kari said...

love your style and your creation.

Bonnie said...

you are very talented !! i like your creation !!

l i s e said...

simple and lovely

et lille oejeblik - a little moment said...

very nice! your choice of fabric is awesome, the combination even better :)

OunĂ¯ said...

I love your blog and your style!

great america face said...

that blouse is ALL things fantastic! great job...darts and all! but....can we discuss your HAIR?! is that a new cut? oh my, i love it...so shaggy and fabulous. there is nothing tina fey/sarah palin about your pretty face. ok, i'll stop gushing before i freak you out. xo camille

Ritva said...

just great jennifer!