Sunday, October 25, 2009

Carlee Fernandez

If you live in Los Angeles, you are likely familiar with the work of Carlee Fernandez.

The above image, Carlee's piece:
Self Portrait: Portrait Of My Father, Manuel Fernandez, could be widely seen all over L.A. in 2008, in banner form, hanging from street lamps, advertising the LACMA group exhibit Phantom Sightings.

I happen to love this piece. It addresses so many things-identity, gender, time, nostalgia.

Equally complex are her altered taxidermy pieces.
Directly below is a piece, that is very similar to one that we have in our home.


Above: White Pigeon with Saffron Finch, 2004

Below: Lola Isern, 2001



Carlee is one of my favorite artists working right now. I love her experimentation, her willingness to use different media to attain her vision. Despite this wide range of media-her pieces always feel like her pieces.

...and this is in no way to minimize focus on Carlee's artistic abilities...but she also happens to be one of the most beautiful and stylish women I know. She's a lover of color and pattern like myself, so I'm always interested to see what she is wearing.

Tomorrow I'll post on one of Carlee's favorite designers (thanks, Carlee!) , the man responsible for that beautiful knit vest above (last photo- pictured: Carlee Fernandez and her son Xavier).

All photographs courtesy of Carlee Fernandez

2 comments:

Janis said...

The portrait is brilliant. Thanks for sharing her work :)

Beklina said...

I too like your friend Carlee's choice of color & pattern.

That goat is amazing! I had to stop and think about it a while. I'm still thinking...