Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Corner View: The Unveiling, Showing Your True Self.



This is a tough one. If you read my blog, then you have already seen photographs of me here and/or on Flickr. I think it is really difficult to intentionally show your true self. Especially through the medium of photography. And through the medium of the blog. You are always editing, selecting what you want people to see.

The top photograph was taken by my husband Tomory. The day after our wedding. I was so tired. I took a nap. You are pretty defenseless when you sleep...but I messed with the color and the lighting in this photograph...to make it look "better" ...and I cropped out my legs, and underpants ;)
The other photo. It's Tomory and me at the end of our wedding reception. Before the after-party. Tipsy, tired, my
makeup is all worn off. I snapped a photo of us before we went back to Irene's Adobe for more celebrating. But I still gave this the old B&W treatment...to make us look less harsh!

The weekend we married and during our honeymoon- was probably the most I've felt like my true self in a while. No work. No real stress. Just enjoying the world together.


Click here to see more un-veilings.

24 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wonderful ! I love how you chose the shots to represent your true self !

claire said...

So beautiful what you say about your wedding! And so true!
Thank you for your visit... Yes this dress is very simple but perfect for the summer!... And the pattern is so clear! I'm sure you can read it!
Have a lovely day! I have to prepare the baggages... We go on holiday tomorrow, in the south!

Kaylovesvintage said...

Hi , nice to meet you

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you too !!

Jodi said...

Great post. the sleeping pic is wonderful. nice to meet you.

Elizabeth said...

Great corner view -- and the sentiments expressed quite beautiful. Thank you...

The Girl in the Yellow Shoes said...

I love enjoying the world together. Nicely said. I love your post!

onegoldensun said...

I really like your selections. They are so honest, and lovely too.

Traveling Mama said...

What a sweet post! I think sometimes we lose sight of those precious times in our lives. Thank you for the sweet reminder!

caitlin said...

Loved how you did this post. Loved how you showed us your true self.

Cam said...

Your unveiling is so soulful and truthful...

Thank you for sharing!

jane said...

beautiful post jennifer. i swear the first photo belongs in a museum. i absolutely love it! besos!

Ana Cristina Abreu said...

i agree with bonnie and with claire!!!

great post!!

and nice to meet you!!

Ritva said...

thanks jennifer!
i love the sleeping photo.
hugs!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we edit, and crop, and choose our words ... who knows, perhaps the end result is our true self?! I like how you choose your wedding as a revealing part of your self.

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, these are wonderful!! These photos I know totally captured the real you! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Day!

Joyce said...

Beautiful! I got a kick of how you cut out your underpants. xoxo

erica said...

i think the top photo is amazing, what a great theme.

Cate said...

so true! what a great picture to have from your wedding day. don't know how it would look with the underpants as an accessory, but your dress (shirt?) is so perfect with the rest of your room.

Jennifer said...

ahhh,
thanks so much guys. I really look forward to the Corner View every week.
So many fascinating ideas and perspectives. I will spend some quality time looking through them more tomorrow.
Just got home from a hard day at work. Psychotic patients fighting with each other (I work as a nurse in a mental hospital)...but that's not even the worst part...it's how nasty your co-workers can be sometimes...bad energy.
I need a new job!
Your comments really cheered me.
Especially Joyce: Yes! I thought showing my panties would be a bit too truthful!
love,
Jennifer

Janis said...

I admire how bold you are, and how you are not afraid to show yourself on the blog ... Big brava to you!

Also - Your comment touched me...too bad LA is so far away :) You're such a dear and I hope things get better at work.

xoxo

Beklina said...

I hear you. I'm lost on how and what to share. I think what you're doing is great. You're inspiring :)

kate / tinywarbler said...

beautiful! i love that top photo (that dress!) and what you said about how you felt during/after your wedding.
and i'm sorry yesterday was so crappy for you. today will be better, i'm sure of it.

Kari said...

Great post and so true.
Love the pictures.